- McKay, p. 407-443
- How did the economic developments contribute to an outburst of intellectual and artistic creativity which became associated with the Renaissance?
- Describe the evolution of government in the dominant city-states of Italy.
- How did Italian city-states contribute to modern diplomacy? What is balance of power?
- What is humanism?
- What is the humanist view of the role of education?
- What are the dominant ideas and themes of The Prince?
- How did patronage of artwork change during the course of the Renaissance? How did this change artwork?
- How did the perception of the artist change during the Renaissance? Why do you think this change came about?
- Compare and contrast the social hierarchy of the medieval period with the Renaissance. How did the concept of medieval social orders or estates change?
- How does Charles VII strengthen the French monarchy?
- What does Henry VII do to check the power of the aristocracy and strengthen the monarchy in England?
- What were the achievements of Ferdinand and Isabella in the areas of national power and expansion? How did they centralize their power?
- Analyze the relationship between patrons and artists during the Renaissance.
- Did women have a Renaissance?
- What are western European attitudes towards non-Christians during this era (1350-1500)?
- To what extent did the writings of Macchiavelli, More, Castiglione, and Pisan represent new trends in political thought?
- How did new technologies contribute to the spread of new ideas during the Renaissance?
- To what extent were Renaissance ideas and values extensions from the Middle Ages?
- What were the political, economic, and social issues which Ferdinand and Isabella used during the Spanish Inquisition?
- Evaluate the involvement of merchants and bankers in the political, economic, and social trends of the Renaissance period.